Two great friends of mine had recently given me a very decent coffee maker — for free! There was really only one way to say ‘thank you’, which was to have them over for coffee with a treat. For the occassion, I whipped up these cappuccino cupcakes within the hour. I believe these portrayed my gratitude appropriately!
200 g flour
7 g baking powder (approximately 1 tablespoon, or you could use self-raising flour)
220 g sugar
a pinch of salt
180 ml milk
60 ml vegetable oil (I prefer peanut or sunflower)
vanilla extract, or the contents of 1 ‘fresh’ vanilla bean
some tablespoons of extra extra extra strong coffee, to taste
mascarpone, or another type of delicious heavy cream, about 125 g
powdered sugar, amount to taste
- Mix together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt).
- In another bowl, mix together the wet ingredients (egg, milk, oil, coffee) and vanilla.
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients together, pour the mixture in baking cups lined up in a cupcake baking tray and bake for about 25 minutes at 180 degrees celsius.
- Mix powdered sugar into the cream until you think the taste is just sweet enough.
- When the cupcakes are cooled (preferably on a wire rack), just smear the cream on top, and finish with a some chocolate sprinkles or cocoa powder.